Next Steps Recovery
Next Steps is the first of its kind in Norfolk, providing a safe, welcoming environment, where those in recovery from addiction can build the confidence and skills needed to sustain their recovery. The centre will also support children affected by parental substance misuse, and veterans affected by drug/alcohol misuse and PTSD.
In October 2018, the Matthew Project moved into 70 - 80 Oak Street, funded by Public Health England, forming the basis of Next Steps. With a total area of over 550m2, plus offices, the building has a huge amount of potential, with ample space for a wide range of activities and support.
Our plans for Next Steps are to turn the building into a vital local asset, accessed by hundreds of local people every year. So far we have been successful in securing over £1 million in funding from a wide range of trusts and foundations, local companies, and individual donations, and as a result we have now secured 93% of the total funding required for the completion of Next Steps.
Refurbishment work on Next Steps was officially completed on October 17th, 2019. We are now in the process of equipping the wide range of rooms and spaces within the centre, as well as completing small additional tasks.
Next Steps includes a wide range of rooms and spaces, custom-designed for supporting our target beneficiaries. When designing the centre, we consulted with groups of beneficiaries, staff, and other local professionals. The key areas within the centre are as follows:
1) A training kitchen and café, where service users can build their cooking and barista skills
2) A new street-facing entrance, to boost the visibility of Next Steps, and allow easier access for visitors
3) One-to-one therapy rooms, providing a safe, secure space for one-to-one support
4) A skills and employability workshop, teaching a range of skills to those in recovery
5) Multifunctional space, providing room for physical exercise, activities, and seating area
6) A library area
7) A mezzanine breakaway area, providing space for relaxation and socialising
8) A reception and welcome area
9) A new toilet block
10) A laundry and shower room
11) An IT suite
12) An art studio
13) A group meeting space
How can you help?
Any donation, big or small, will make a big difference to the development of Next Steps, allowing us to support more of those in recovery to realise their potential.
If you would like to make a donation for over £500 then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, 01603 626 123.
Any donations over £500 will be acknowledged by a wall plaque in the new Recovery Center and on our website.